On July 4th, 1920, 12 parishoners of St. Ambrose Cathedral petitioned Bishop T.W. Drumm to establish a new parish on the west side of Des Moines. Rev. John Noonan was appointed the church's first pastor, articles of incorporation were filed, and part of the old Iowa State fairgrounds at 42nd Street and Grand Avenue was purchased for $20,000. Designed by Boston architect Charles Maginnis, whose works included the high altar of St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, St. Augustin Chruch was formally dedicated on February 3, 1924. Its stained glass windows were created by Boston artist Charles Connick and are documented in the book "Art of Prayer." A seven-room school was constructed at 4320 Grand Ave. in 1926 and staffed by Adrian Dominican Sisters.
|In 1928, Rev. James Manning was appointed pastor, and the rectory was added to the church building. Rev. Francis O'Connell served rom 1933 until his death in 1948. During his pastorate, the interior furnishings of the church were completed, the school was enlarged, and the debt was eliminated. Msgr. Gerald Walker served from 1948 until his retirement in June 1981. He oversaw the construction of a second school building. In August 1981, Rev. Frank Nugent was appointed pastor. The church was repaired and a new parish hall was completed in 1986. In 1988, the lower level of the parish hall was completed. Rev. Nugent died in October 1989, and Rev. Thomas Crowley served as parish administator until the appointment of Msgr. Frank Bognanno as pastor in 1990.|
|Msgr. Bognanno expanded the school building and church parking lot. Rev. James Polich, who served from 2000 until his death in 2011, purchased additional property at the corner of Grand Avenue and 40th Street. Rev. James Livingstone served as parish administrator until the appointment of Rev. Christopher Hartshorn in 2012.|